A lawyer for the group, Muhammad Sholeh, came to the Surabaya District Court on Tuesday to register their suit which was also addressed to the Surabaya city police.
What the six Surbayans objected to as a conrete wall, one meter high, 50 centimeters thick and 25 centimeters long that had been built seven meters in front of the consulate's entrance gate on Jalan Raya Polisi Istimewa.
"This concrete wall has given rise to many complaints because it is located in the middle of the road, It often causes traffic congestions, especially for vehicles coming from the east," Sholeh said.
He said, the structure was set up four years ago when demonstrations often happened outside the consulate and apparently intended to keep demonstrators a comfortable distance away.
"However, in reality, more often than not, demonstrators are unable to come near the consulate as their path is already blocked by security forces in other streets leading to the consulate or at least 500 meters from the US mission, So what is the point in maintaining the wall," he said.
Meanwhile, a staffer at the US consulate general in Surabaya, Esti Durahsanti, when asked about the class-action suit, said the consulate had nothing to say yet.(**)
Editor : Nyoman Budhiana
COPYRIGHT © ANTARA 2026
Dilarang keras mengambil konten, melakukan crawling atau pengindeksan otomatis untuk AI di situs web ini tanpa izin tertulis dari Kantor Berita ANTARA.